Subject: Re: your mail
To: None <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1994 16:05:23
Scott Reynolds writes:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 1994, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

>> seems like after updating libraries that hostname lookup in the tcp/ip
>> clients is failing. named seems to be working, since i can use a host
>> program to look ip addresses (as well as nslookup) but telnet rsh rlogin
>> ftp etc all return such as:
>> 	fnord# telnet
>> Error 0

>I found the same thing.  While I didn't investigate further, I did find a 
>workaround:  create an /etc/resolv.conf and add a "domain" line to it.

The thing that confuses me is some things don't seem capable of
reverse resolving names into addresses with the present setup.  For
instance, if I telnet into my machine via term it shows my machine's
name as just an IP number, even though it's in the /etc/hosts file and
I have "lookup file bind" in /etc/hosts.  I'm curious why it can
resolve the name into an address with no problem, but doesn't seem to
be capable of doing the reverse.  More details are available if

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.