Subject: Re: new snapshot
To: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
From: Greg Cronau <gregc@edi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1994 05:58:21
Drew Hess

>> you don't need /usr/libexec to boot single-user; i.e. it's still
>> partially usable.
>
>Yes, I was able to boot single-user, but I couldn't use the tar files on
>sun-lamp because gzip and tar were dynamically linked, and after I screwed
>up and used the ld.so from the April 3 binary snapshot, I got core dumps
>whenever I tried to use a dynamic exec with a pre-April 3 kernel.  Since
>I couldn't get the April 3 kernel on sun-lamp to work, I was kinda hosed.

I got myself into a different situation, but one of the problems was
similiar, I needed to get at tar and gzip and I couldn't use the
dynamically linked ones. However, if you can mount either of the
original inst1-09 or inst2-09 installation floppies, you will find
statically linked versions of tar and gzip on those floppies. I keep
those versions of tar, gzip, and mread on my / partition just-in-case.

Greg Cronau
gregc@edi.com