Subject: Re: new snapshot
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1994 18:05:05

> re: the fact that your machine reboots during buffer allocation:
> that's weird; unless i'm mistaken, nothing 'before' buffer allocation
> has changed recently...

Yes, it is weird.  But a -current kernel that Jonathan O'Brien
(obrien@hulk.sfsu.edu) made for me works fine, I'm using it now to recover.
(He made the kernel for me from my kernel config; there must be something in
the generic AHA and BT config file that disagrees with my system.)

> >My system is now hopelessly lost.
>
> you don't need /usr/libexec to boot single-user; i.e. it's still
> partially usable.

Yes, I was able to boot single-user, but I couldn't use the tar files on
sun-lamp because gzip and tar were dynamically linked, and after I screwed
up and used the ld.so from the April 3 binary snapshot, I got core dumps
whenever I tried to use a dynamic exec with a pre-April 3 kernel.  Since
I couldn't get the April 3 kernel on sun-lamp to work, I was kinda hosed.

Anyway, the kernel that Jonathan built for me is working fine
with the April 3 bins, except for vi which I can probably work around,
and right now I'm supping and I hope to be back to current later tonight.

> I'm going to do a new snapshot 'as soon as is feasible,'

No hurry for me anymore.

-dwh-
dhess@cs.stanford.edu