Subject: Re: Printing w/CR's
To: Robert Shady <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1994 19:57:57
> Certainly, but I'm trying to find the "standard" way to do it.  Are you
> saying our LPT configs are so bad you have to HACK the driver to get it
> to work with your printer?

The "standard" way to do this is to use a filter.

All of the following refer to the same printer...

lp|Hp 4MP as line printer at 300dpi:\

ljr|lj|Hp 4MP:\

hp600|Hp 4MP printer at 600dpi:\

hp300|lw|Hp 4MP printer at 300dpi:\

draft|Hp 4MP printer in econo-mode:\

Each of the above filters is a link to lpfilter which I hacked up from
the hplp filter posted by Curt Mayer <>.  My filter
reads /etc/lpfiltcap to find initialization and reset strings to send
to the printer.  The standard initialization tells the printer to
expand LF's to CR/LF.  Of course you could make the filter do the
expansion yourself...

I'll package up lpfilt and post it shortly...