Subject: Re: setreuid semantics changed
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 23:05:46
>> As for the setreuid() routine, if it's not going to work as expected, I'd
>> rather see it removed entirely from libc.  That way, when porting code, you
>> find out a link time rather than at run time.
>
>nobody who's writing POSIX code should be using setreuid().  If
>they're writing POSIX code and they use it, well, "we provide the
>rope."  If they're *intentionally* using it, on POSIX systems, they
>we should probably provide a GUN.

Or maybe take the function out of there, and stick it in -compat?  That way,
as was suggested above, you'll find out the sucker is broken and the
sucker compiling the broken code will know there may be a reason why the
function isn't standard, like security.

Just my .02  ;)

--Michael

--
Michael Graff                 <explorer@vorpal.com>
1304 Florida #3               (515) 296-2735