Subject: Re: Printing w/CR's
To: None <>
From: Holger Veit <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 17:45:43
> >Someone had mentioned bumping up the minor number on the printer to 32, that
> >didn't work.  By looking at the lpt.c code, it shows that to add LF's to
> >CR's, and what I need to do is add the CR's to the LF's... The opposite.
> Certainly it couldn't be that hard to either change lpt.c to do the opposite,
> or make it so if you added 64 to the minor number you would get the behavior
> you desire.
> --Ken
Rather than patching lpt.c, and re-patching it again, if someone does
some fix to it (there seems to be a patch-all-isa-drivers daily strategy
coming up now :-)), you might try out the following (written down
from memory, so might need some fixup) to get CRLFs to your printer:

create an executable script named /PATHNAME/FOO containing:
awk '{print $0,"\r"}'
exit 0

and add to the printcap entry of your printer the resource

Beware of printing binary files through that filter, though,
better make another entry without that processing filter.

Hope that helps

         Dr. Holger Veit                   | INTERNET:
|  |   / GMD-SET German National Research  | Phone: (+49) 2241 14 2448
|__|  /  Center for Computer Science       | Fax:   (+49) 2241 14 2342