Subject: Re: Printing w/CR's
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Holger Veit <Holger.Veit@gmd.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 17:45:43

> >Someone had mentioned bumping up the minor number on the printer to 32, that
> >didn't work.  By looking at the lpt.c code, it shows that to add LF's to
> >CR's, and what I need to do is add the CR's to the LF's... The opposite.
>
> Certainly it couldn't be that hard to either change lpt.c to do the opposite,
> or make it so if you added 64 to the minor number you would get the behavior
> you desire.
>
> --Ken

Rather than patching lpt.c, and re-patching it again, if someone does
some fix to it (there seems to be a patch-all-isa-drivers daily strategy
coming up now :-)), you might try out the following (written down
from memory, so might need some fixup) to get CRLFs to your printer:

create an executable script named /PATHNAME/FOO containing:
#!/bin/sh
awk '{print $0,"\r"}'
exit 0

and add to the printcap entry of your printer the resource
:if=/PATHNAME/FOO:

Beware of printing binary files through that filter, though,
better make another entry without that processing filter.

Hope that helps

--
         Dr. Holger Veit                   | INTERNET: Holger.Veit@gmd.de
|  |   / GMD-SET German National Research  | Phone: (+49) 2241 14 2448
|__|  /  Center for Computer Science       | Fax:   (+49) 2241 14 2342