Subject: Re: /dev/console
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@wrl.epi.com>
From: Holger Veit <Holger.Veit@gmd.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 17:23:33

> >re: "Couldn't open console" from xconsole:
> >
> >is /dev/console owned by you?
>
> A cheap and effective fix to this problem is to modify xconsole to look at
> /dev/vga as opposed to /dev/console.
>
> --Ken

It is cheap and effective, as long as you run pccons, and none of
the different console drivers that allow you to start X from
another device than /dev/vga alias /dev/ttyv0. Also you might consider
recompiling xterm because of the '-C' option, and cmdtool/shelltool
(if you like OpenWindows), and probably quite a few other
user programs that would like to write to the console.

--
         Dr. Holger Veit                   | INTERNET: Holger.Veit@gmd.de
|  |   / GMD-SET German National Research  | Phone: (+49) 2241 14 2448
|__|  /  Center for Computer Science       | Fax:   (+49) 2241 14 2342