Subject: 486DX/40 or 486DX2/66?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 08:35:08
Okay, here is a question for ya...

I've always been under the impression that a 486DX/40 would be overall faster
than a 486DX2/66 since with VLB, you can get 40Mhz throughput across the bus
with the 40, vs. 33Mhz with the 66.  After speaking with a friend though, he
claims that the 66 has MUCH better overall performance than the 40's...
Which is the case in real life?  We have several 40's running as servers
here now, is it worth upgrading them to 66's??  Should we buy 66's in the
future?  Is it better to get EISA, ISA, VLB, or PCI motherboards??

Ah... This damn flu, I can't think straight.. ;)