Subject: Re: /dev/console
To: None <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1994 06:13:19
> re: /etc/fbtab-type-thing
>
> i've been thinking of something like /dev/fbtab, but not for the same
> reasons.  however, that format has some problems, and i'm not sure
> the right way to address them yet...

For instance, in a Sunish console environment it's fine to say the user
sitting at the machine gets ownership of /dev/console, /dev/fb, etc.
They also have it simpler becuase there isn't any thing like the
/dev/console vs /dev/vga (vs /dev/ttyv0).

But with something like pcvt, what if they login under multiple usernames?

But I agree, ownership of things like /dev/console is a problem (minor but
niggling) with the current scheme.  ACL's, yeah, that's it.  Forget
FFS, we'll just use RMS.  Then we won't need the db library any more
either ?-).

-Mark