Subject: Re: Using Term for sup
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1994 22:04:35
>A short while ago, someone (sorry, I forgot to save the header) wrote:

>>Either setup a SLIP or a PPP link, or if that is unfeasible, get "term",
>>a user-mode point-to-point package-oriented communication program.  It can
>>be found somewhere in the pub/OS/Linux hierarchy on ftp.funet.fi, the
>>name ought to be term112.tar.gz or similar.  Compile it on both systems,
>>set up a term connection as per the documentation, and then as root at home:
>>
>>tredir 871 sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

>(The latest version is 114, BTW.)
>
>I'm trying to do this, but not having much luck.  I have term working --
>linecheck reports no errors either direction, and I am able to set up a
>term link and trsh into it.  However when I do the tredir and try to sup,
>I get:
>
># tredir 871 sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>Redirecting 871 to sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
># sup -s
>SUP 8.26 (4.3 BSD) for system software at Apr  3 12:28:51
>SUP: Can't connect to server for supfilesrv: No route to host
>
>Obviously, I'm missing.  The question is: what??  (I would try a route add,
>but I haven't the vaguest notion of how to make it run through term.)
>I'm running NetBSD/Mac, current as of 19 March 1994.
>
>Thanks,
>~Steve
>--
>Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com

I have this working now.  (Thanks to the gentleman from sweden who
kept me trying til I got it right).  First, make sure you tredir as
root with the same TERMDIR.  I tried doing tredir with a setuid root
copy of tredir, and although it bound to the port ok, it wouldn't
complete the connection.

Next, it's "tredir 871 sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu:871" -- don't forget
the port on the remote end.  Next, make sure your supfile is looking
to sup from localhost, not sun-lamp.  If you get all that working, you
should be in "SUPper shape"!  (sorry :-)

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.