Subject: Re: how to get ld working...
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1994 16:38:20
> The problem with libraries seems to be that the format is now slightly
> different because of the type changes.  This is mildly disconcerting.

The change in the libraries is thus:

the __.SYMDEF subfile placed in the archives by ranlib now has 64 bit
off_t's encoded in it rather than 32 bit off_t's. You must update
ranlib & ld together. The new ld will not understand old libraries.

If you have a problem with a library, deleting the __.SYMDEF file should
solve the problem. The linker should work with libraries that do not have
__.SYMDEF subfiles. To do so I think you can use
	ar d libXXX.a __.SYMDEF