Subject: CD-ROM driver stopped working.
To: current-users <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Burgess, David (TSgt) ~U <BurgessD@J68.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1994 13:59:00
I grabbed all of the tar-balls from ftp.iastate.edu last week and spent the
first part of this week getting them compiled and loaded.  I have a couple
of simple little questions. (19th of March versions, I think)

1)  Did the CD-ROM code change over the previous few weeks.  I was using the
new code that Amancio sent in a few weeks ago and it recognized my CD-ROM
fine.  The new code does not.  It times out in getreply().

2)  Has anyone decided whether the 'default expecting clocal to be true or a
carrier to be there' fix/bug is a good thing or a bad thing?  I have figured
out work arounds for it, but it is a serious pain in the butt to get my
dial-out to work correctly.  The good news is that dial-in seems to work
great.  Also, my vt-100 doesn't assert DCD in the cable that I have (could
be cable or terminal) and has now stopped working.  Would/Should/Could I
change an option in the ttysdefault.h file to make clocal the default and
have getty reset it instead of the way we are doing this now?  If I change
it, one of the first things that will happen to it will be that it will get
reset by the next SUP that I do.

On the bright side, SLIP seems to be working better (or the router I am
using is) and I have not had the network 'hang' on me in the last two days.

I have been following the discussion about the new sources, and I have to
tell you that I am more than a little trepidatious about the prospects of
the major changes that are forthcoming.  I hope it ends up being a lot less
painful than it has been sounding.

Also, I haven't tried to sup since the structure of the sup collections
changed a few weeks ago (working from tar-files almost exclusively) and I do
not really look forward to receiving the entire source tree again.  Would
someone that knows SUP pretty well drop me a line that tells me what the
/var/sup file structure looks like now and what the contents of the various
files is?  A little gentle prodding of my file system should cut down on the
network overhead for me, and once I get it figured out, I will document it
in the FAQ.

Speaking of the FAQ (for those of you that didn't see it in news) I have
been working with a couple of people trying to arrange for a login and disk
space for the FAQ on one of the many nice systems out there.  It has been
almost a month since the last one was posted to comp.os.386bsd.announce, and
I suspect that the world is starting to get antsy about it.  All I need is
JMonroy losing it again and screaming about replacing the moderator because
I haven't been doing my part :-).

Dave Burgess