Subject: Problem bootstrapping current
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1994 13:33:26
I'm trying to get 940330 compiled.  My last system was 940321, which
didn't have the off_t/gid_t/uid_t size changes.

I've done the following successfully:

 1. Rebuild make and config
 2. Install share/mk and includes
 3. Compile new kernel and reboot
 4. Compiled/installed libraries
 5. Recompiled gcc and ld with new libraries

The problem is, the new "ld" always barfs on anything is tries to link,
saying things like:

ld: malformatted header of archive member in /usr/lib/libgcc.a

The new gcc seems to work just fine however.  I can successfully build
programs using the new gcc and the old linker in fact (linked with the
new libraries), and they work just fine.

I also tried making all the libraries from scratch again, using the
newly compiled gcc.  I can't use the new ld to build shared libraries
either.  I get:

ld: malformatted __.SYMDEF in libgnumalloc_pic.a

If I use the new gcc and old ld to build the libraries, I get libs
that exhibit the exact same behavior: the old ld works fine, the new
ld doesn't.

Any ideas?  For now I'm going to try building my system with the old
ld and see what happens.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science