Subject: make problem - march 27 sources
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Tom Crockett <tmc@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 17:10:07
Well, in spite of carefully reading Chris's warnings re: the new sources
(beginning March 27) I managed to wrongly interpret what he meant by:

>To: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>Subject: more things that you need to do...
>Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 17:53:05 -0800
>
>before building and installing new libraries (and binaries compiled
>from them), be *sure* to install a new kernel...
>chris

and

>From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
>To: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu
>cc: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>,
>        current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Re: various stuff -- current sources, sun-lamp, changes...
>Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 19:27:24 -0800
>
>>  1. Build/install compiler tools and config
>>  2. Build/install/boot kernel
>>  3. Install share/mk and includes
>>  4. Build/install libraries
>>  5. Build/install everything else
>>
>> Correct?  If so, feel free to forward this to the list.
>
>That should be mostly correct.
>
>there shouldn't be any changes that require you to rebuild the
>compiler tools, as long as your previous -current was relatively
>current...
>chris

I think that what was meant was be sure to build and install a
kernel using the newly installed include and mk files.  *BUT* do
this before building anything else like the libs, binaries, and
so on...

Otherwise programs like make will simply segmentation fault all
over your screen when you try to build anything.  This is not a
good thing and is where I find myself now.
My system was current at March 26.  The only only binaries and libs
I can find (sun-lamp & iastate) are from March 5 and don't like the
later stuff.  Suggestions?

I think if I had a march 19-26 version of:
libc_p.a, libc.a, libgnumalloc.a, libgnumalloc_p.a
and/or maybe just
make
as these were the only things actually installed, I could recover.

From my make.log:
ranlib libc_p.a
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 libc.a  /usr/lib
ranlib -t /usr/lib/libc.a
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444  libc_p.a /usr/lib
ranlib -t /usr/lib/libc_p.a
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 libgnumalloc.a  /usr/lib
ranlib -t /usr/lib/libgnumalloc.a
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444  libgnumalloc_p.a /usr/lib
ranlib -t /usr/lib/libgnumalloc_p.a
install -c -s -o bin -g bin -m 555  make /usr/bin
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 make.0 /usr/share/man/cat1
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault

Tom