Subject: Re: Timezones and stuff
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 19:35:10
 Hellmuth Michaelis (hm@hcshh.hcs.de) wrote:
>If NetBSD is the only bootable OS on machine it might be ok to have the
>RTC run at GMT (or the modern equivalent of it), but for other situations
>i see no straightforward solution ...

 I run NetBSD and DOS with the RTC at GMT (or UTC as it's called nowadays).
I _do_ have the correct time on both OS's. Here's how I did it:
1. Get clk360rs.zip from from oak.oakland.edu:pub/msdos/clock
2. Look at the readme and update your config.sys (device=<path>\clock.sys)
   and your autoexec.bat (<path>\clk TZ=:MET, in my case).

3. put timezone 0 dst 0 in your NetBSD config file
4. link /etc/localtime to wherever you're located (/usr/share/zoneinfo/MET
   in my case)

 I had _zero_ problems with this when the daylight savings time started
on Sun Mar 27 02:00:00 in Europe.

Onno van der Linden    c/o     vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden)