Subject: Re: /usr/src/etc/Makefile
To: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 10:02:51
> >For instance, /etc/services:  what if people have added some local services?
> >Then it's not safe to do.  etc.
>
> True, this is a problem.  Especially since most "normal" O/S's don't replace
> these types of files except when there's a totally new release.  (Welcome to
> the world of frequently updating source code Operating Systems, Greg (-: )
>
> Is there "accepted common practice", then?  i.e., "After your `make universe'
> is done, go rummage through /etc and <insert others here> and if you find
> anything newer, diff it against what you've got and merge in the new changes"?

I find that the src/etc files don't change all that often.  When they do,
I just re-install them and put my changes back in by hand.

Every once in a while, I do a "ls -lgt" in src/etc and src/etc.i386
and see if anything's changed recently, and then investigate from
there.

I could also keep personal diffs between the distributed version and
my version to help me remember that I'd changed, but I've never had a
need for that myself.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science