Subject: Re: Problems in upgrading to current
To: None <yting@netcom.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 09:50:50
>From: yting@netcom.com (Yu-Han (John) Ting)
>Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 00:33:54 -0800 (PST)

>I was trying to upgrade from 0.9 to current from the latest source tree.  I
>followed the FAQ and had finished the following steps:
>
>   setenv MACHINE_ARCH i386

You have to rebuild 'make' and 'gas' here.  Probably 'tsort' and other
stuff I've forgotten as well.  After rebuilding make you can unsetenv
MACHINE_ARCH.

>   cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
>   cd /usr/src/include ; make obj; make; make install
>   setenv LDSTATIC -static
>   setenv NOPIC
>   cd /usr/src/lib/libc ; make obj

After the recent 'rebuild kernel before rebuilding libc' changes, I'm
not sure that it's possible to upgrade using source only from 0.9 to
-current anymore.  Is it possible to build a working -current kernel
with -current's tools, built with 0.9's headers and libraries?  I
would check, but I have no backup devices.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030