Subject: Re: /usr/src/etc/Makefile
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 01:29:36
>>More to the point, I don't see any target that would update files in /etc (or
>>/dev) if newer ones appear in /usr/src/etc or /usr/src/etc/etc.<arch>.
>
>That's right.  Quite frankly, it'd be *stupid* to have such a 'dangerous'
>target around.
>
>How can we say what files are 'ok' to replace?
>
>For instance, /etc/services:  what if people have added some local services?
>Then it's not safe to do.  etc.

True, this is a problem.  Especially since most "normal" O/S's don't replace
these types of files except when there's a totally new release.  (Welcome to
the world of frequently updating source code Operating Systems, Greg (-: )

Is there "accepted common practice", then?  i.e., "After your `make universe'
is done, go rummage through /etc and <insert others here> and if you find
anything newer, diff it against what you've got and merge in the new changes"?

	- Greg