Subject: bounce bufs; BT445S?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1994 21:17:30
After having seen the modest announcement of the addition of bounce
buffers to FreeBSD, I was wondering about one thing: they also
said that Buslogic vlb SCSI cards needed them?

Since I'm co-administering a 32Mb machine with a BT445S in it,
I'm interested in knowing whether this will give problems
with -current. I know that NetBSD currently has a scheme that
seems to statically allocate a buffer for each DMA channel,
and uses one of those if it's needed (i.e. if the requested
address is above 16Mb). All the code is marked with XXX, so I assume
that this is going to change.

We had some crashes on this particular machine, but since I have no physical
access to it, and savecore does not work (--> can't see the reason
for panics), I am not sure what the problem
is. I don't think it's a DMA problem, but I just wanted to make sure.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? Thanks a lot in advance,

- Frank