Subject: Snapshot report - 19 March tar_files
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1994 07:41:20
Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 19th March 1994, from ftp.iastate.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 12 March tar_files from
sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

Machine specifics: 486DX2/66, 16MB RAM, 340 MB IDE (Conner), VGA card

Other software: XFree86 2.1, from ftp.iastate.edu

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade:

Any warnings during compilation: various, not noted

Any problems during make: see below.

Observations:
Thanks to Michael VanLoon for the mirroring of sun-lamp, and the
XFree86 2.1 software archival site.

Changes from 12 March tar_files:
(This is taken from the CHANGES file on sun-lamp - last update on 19 Mar 94)

        gcc2: added arch/ns32k directory with files (phil)
        sendmail upgraded to version 8.6.7.
                This fixes a major security hole in v8.  Our
                distribution has also been cleaned up. (glass)
        sendmail upgraded to version 8.6.8.
                This fixes a security hole in v8. (glass)
                Lets not make this three in a row...
        fix from mark@aggregate.com (Mark P. Gooderum) to convince diff -l
                to invoke 'pr' correctly. (cgd)
        in tput, don't assume that only valid thing starting with 'l' is
                longname.  Fix from Eric J. Haug <ejh@slueas.slu.edu> (cgd)
        various manual page fixes from Luke Mewburn <zak@rmit.edu.au> and
                myself. (cgd)

Notes:

1.  Various people have reported vm funnies - didn't happen for me,
but I did nuke the old kernel compile directory completely.

2.  ftp.iastate.edu is mirroring sun-lamp, and has got the tar_files
on there now.  So please try to use ftp.iastate.edu in preference to
sun-lamp, as, if nothing else, it'll mean that the mailing list will
mail things faster.

3.  I had word back from the maintainer of RVM at CMU, saying that the bug
that NetBSD shows looks like the same as one in the HP/UX port of RVM.
He'll let me know more when he's got a fix. Stay tuned.

4.  I compiled this week using a Mar 19 kernel, and a Mar 5 kernel as
a reference point.  The Mar 5 kernel had two spontaneous reboots, the
Mar 19 kernel had none when compiling the same code/formatting the
manual pages.

5.  Matthieu Herrb's compiled the latest version of Xfree86 2.1,
released last week, for the shared libraries in NetBSD-current. There were
a few teething troubles, but everything should now be hunky dory. These
binaries (both static and shared) are on

        ftp.laas.fr:pub/NetBSD

and also:

        ftp.iastate.edu:pub/netbsd/XFree86-2.1
        hulk.sfsu.edu:
        sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu:pub/NetBSD/ports/XFree86-2.1

There should be shared and static subdirectories.

(You may have to make a symbolic link to libX11.so.2.0 called
libX11.so.4.10, to make some of the binaries run correctly.  Also, you
may have to delete /dev/ttyv0 - for some reason MAKEDEV moves
/dev/ttyqf to /dev/ttyv0. The former should be fixed in the later versions
of the binaries/libraries).

Thanks Matthieu.

6.  Mike Long's done some patches for Kermit which should be standard
across NetBSD (0.9 and -current), 386bsd 0.1, and FreeBSD.

7.  I saw on comp.os.386bsd.misc that Mike Lee
(i249585@kodak.rdcs.kodak.com (Mike Lee x60019/SISD/2-11-EP)) got
386bsd 0.1 running on an MCA machine.

"I don't know about FREEBSD or NetBSD, but I recently got 386BSD 0.1 + patchkit
0.2.3 (only kernel related patches applied so far) running on PS/2 80. It even
booted on PS/2 70 fine.

In case you are interested, here are some details:

* ABIOS is used for floppy and hard disk access
* stock com, pccons and npx drivers worked without modification
* kernel is stable enough to configure and compile itself (w/o panics or hangs)
* uses gcc-2.5.8, gas-1.38 and binutils-1.9
* uses drop-in console driver,  pcvt-3.0
* did not get to SCSI and network drivers yet (I have none of the board)

Mike L."

8. Keith Moore has succeeded in putting NetBSD on an IBM Thinkpad 750,
complete with drivers for PCMCIA.