Subject: Re: STREAMS - any plans?
To: David W. Langford <langfod@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1994 09:38:45
>Just to stem my confusion is this discussion regarding streams or STREAMS?
>David Langford

"streams" is the name of the modular I/O architecture invented by Dennis Ritchie.
"STREAMS" is the name of the ghastly I/O architecture marketed by the Unix
Systems Laboratory, which was created by taking Ritchie's streams, capitalizing
it (presumably so it looked important, and was ever-so-slightly-less confusable
with the use of the word "streams" to refer to stdio FILE objects), and letting
a few dozen junior programmers flesh out the portions that Ritchie had the
wisdom to admit he didn't understand.  :-)

Whether NetBSD wants streams or STREAMS is a good question.  Spec 1170 would
require STREAMS.  Just dinking around with modular protocols would require
only streams.