Subject: Crash image
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1994 15:23:08
Has anyone ever had a successful system image dump (usable by savecore(8))
after a panic? If I let my system dump core (by willingly causing a panic),
be patient, and let the dump finish, savecore does not produce anything
sensile at reboot. The -v flag tells me that there is a magic number
mismatch, and using -f (both flags seem to be undocumented, btw) then
goes on to produce dumpfiles of negative size & the like.

This is on a system with IDE disk; however, a system with SCSI disk
(and bt driver) does not seem to produce anything sensible too.

It would be very convenient to check panic messages and examine
a system image after the system has rebooted (if multiple people
are using your system, you can't afford to have panic() wait for
you to show up, read the message, and press a key).

- Frank