Subject: Linux/FreeBSD sound driver v2.4
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1994 04:09:09
I got the FreeBSD-current version of the Linux Sound Driver v2.4 to compile
under NetBSD-current in about 40 minutes, including compile time.  So far
I've only tested the /dev/audio device, which plays .au's, and it worked OK
except that it cuts off the last half-second or so of the .au when I cat
it to /dev/audio.  I sent a note to Hannu in case he has some clue what the
problem might be.

This is on a PAS-16; I haven't tested the SB-16 or GUS drivers because
I don't own them.

I'm downloading a couple of Linux sound programs off sunsite.unc.edu right now
to see if the other devices (namely the midi and dsp devices) work.

Anyway, maybe Charles would like to re-evaluate the driver now that the
latest-and-greatest has been ported to FreeBSD-current and at least plays
a sound without hanging the machine (as previous versions of the sound
driver did when I attempted to port them).

-dwh-
dhess@cs.stanford.edu

P.S. as I was finishing this msg, I tried wavplay, originally written for
Linux, and by changing 2 lines of code (basically 2 "#include"s) I was
able to get it running.  This program plays Microsoft Windows .WAV files
on /dev/dsp and it works beautifully on my PAS-16.