Subject: Re: Snapshot report - 12 March tar_files
To: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1994 06:22:48
> > 5.  I've been playing about with the RVM (Recoverable Virtual Memory)
> > package from CMU.  There still seem to be quite a few bugs floating
> > around.  If anyone's interesed in getting together on this one, drop
> > me a line, please.
>
> First you have to tell us what it is....

And I thought everyone read comp.os.research...
To quote from the abstract of the paper

"RVM provides an unstructured recoverable virtual memory.  The
recoverable storage is represented by Unix files or disk partitions
that applications can map at page granularity into the address space
of a process.  Simple, non-nested atomic transactions guarantee
permanence of changes to recoverable storage across system crashes.
Applications can schedule transaction logging actions to enhance
performance.  The design stresses simplicity, ease of use, and high
performance.  Unix compatibility is standard, while optional
Mach-specific extensions are supported for additional flexibility and
performance.  RVM has been extensively used in the clients and servers
of the Coda File System, and in the Venari system."

Or to paraphrase...

They use write-ahead logs to give simple transaction-style
functionality to operations on virtual memory, which can be recovered
after system crashes.

The whole caboodle can be ftp'ed from:

	ftp.cs.cmu.edu:project/rvm-releases/*

Anyone still interested/awake?