Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on wd1
To: None <BENE%DRAGON@orion.cpqd.ansp.br>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1994 11:02:30
>     I am trying to install NetBSD 0.9 in my second IDE drive (D:) but, in the
> inst1-0.9.fs floppy, the install shell script defaults the installation
> to wd0 when I answer "IDE" to hd type question.
>     What is the problem if I change "wd0" to "wd1" in the install procedure?
> Is there any other way to do this ?
> I really want to have one hard disk totally dedicated to DOS and the other
> full NetBSD. No problem booting from the floppy, perhaps I'll use bootdrive
> or os-bs in the future.

physically installed the netbsd drive as drive 0. Install netbsd.
When it's done, copy /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.wd0, and change the
references in /etc/fstab from wd0 to wd1. Swap drives again, use a
boot manager such as booteasy (old versions of os-bs couldn't handle
multiple drives, and the new version wrote over my netbsd disklabel
so I've given it a miss) and install it on drive 0 only. THat way,
you hit F5 to swap to the netbsd bootloader.

This is what I did to install netbsd on drive 0. (Actually, I took the
HD to work and ftp-installed it, then took it home, but the
principle's the same :)

Luke.
(He who must use DOS for Framemaker & Airwarrior & Doom)