Subject: Re: Problem with the 3/7 sources.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: - Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/1994 16:14:00
>   Would you please make it Sun compatible?
>
>NetBSD != SunOS

And good ideas should not be subject to O/S religious wars.

For example:

>Carrier Detect was enabled by default on the modem ports.
>This makes things like incoming getty's behave normally.
>
>If you want to use them and there's no carrier apparent, you have to get them
>'stty clocal'd until there is a carrier.
>
>An example of how to do that is:
>
>	sleep 1000 < /dev/tty00 &
>	stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal
>	tip foo				# foo uses /dev/tty00
>
>When there's carrier:
>	~<control-z>
>	stty -f /dev/tty00 -clocal
>	kill the sleep

This is not my notion of a good idea, no matter what O/S it comes from.

The ability to open() a serial device with minor number >= 128 without waiting
for CD to be present - while opening up the same device with minor < 128 blocks
in the open() waiting for CD - is a Good Idea.  Whether it came from SunOS or
VAX BSD or wherever.  (It also provides a method whereby I can run FlexFAX's
"faxd" instead of a "getty" on the modem port and do Adaptive Answer in
software for FAX/Data purposes.)

( I hope the above mess wasn't propagated to the NetBSD/SPARC port's
  sys/arch/sparc/dev/zs.c ... )

	- Greg