Subject: Re: UDP checksums
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1994 10:19:15
> SunOS 4.1.x Suns have UDP checksums turned off by default, so it's not very
> likely that NFS will stop working to them (-:
> I usually turn them on in my home SPARCstation-1 clone and on a target Sun if
> I expect to do NFS over my PPP link, but otherwise I live happily without 'em.

Humph!  I recently got to debug an "NFS file corruption bug" here that turned
out to be a bad ethernet board.  I think all of our Suns have checksums turned
on, and that the NFS corruption resulted from bad packets sneaking past the
not-terribly-strong TCP/IP checksum -- on the other hand, maybe some of the
Suns haven't been fixed.  Whoever decided that NFS could live without checksums
should have a six-inch railroad spike driven into their right forebrain, to
match the one already in their left forebrain :-).