Subject: AIC-6360 [Re: One KUDOS, one bug...]
To: None <mark@aggregate.com>
From: None <Jarle.F.Greipsland@idt.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1994 10:58:02
"mpg" == Mark P Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com> writes:
[ snip snip snip ]
mpg> PS...anyone out there hacking on a driver for the AIC-6260/6360 chips
mpg> such as are used in some of the nicely priced multimedia boards?

Yep.  I've got a driver that now seems to get the data correctly in and out
of the SCSI-devices, albeit at a not too impressive speed (levels out at
about 1.7MB/s going through the filesystem).  Anyone out there that are
interested in testing it out?  It is/was stable enough that I've managed to
build world on a scsi disk hooked up to my AIC-6360-equipped motherboard.
I've tested it with a few different disks (scsi I & II) and a Nec cdrom
player (scsi I).  I would very much appreciate if anyone with a tape drive
and an AIC-6360 on their motherboard would assist me in debugging the
driver, as I don't have a tape drive.

At the moment I'm trying to make it a bit faster and more robust (Trying to
detect bus hangs and some other stuff.  I wasted about a week trying to
track down a bug in the driver that turned out to be a bad cable .... So
the motivation is there allright.)

Also, as I've only got docs for the AIC-6360 and not for any of the other
Adaptec chips, the driver will probably not work with the other chips
without modifications.

					-jarle
----
"You are in a twisty maze of Sendmail rules, all obscure..."
				-- Dwight E. Cass (dec@nrtc.northrop.com)