Subject: Re: keyboard doesn't work with current kernel
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jared V Boone <jboone@patriot.wtfd.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1994 23:43:17
On Tue, 8 Mar 1994, Brian Moore wrote:

> I had this problem also with the Feb 26 sources.  The solution I found was to
> just keep hiting the Caps Lock key during the probe sequence of the boot.
> Right before the fsck of the disks it probes the keyboard ( the line says
> something like 'impmask 4fe blah blah' or something like that ).  When the
> console is probed first, it disables my keyboard.  Then when it probes the
> keyboard, if I'm hitting a key, the keyboard will come back to life.  I use the
> Caps Lock because I can see the light come back on.  I had this same problem
> with 386BSD 0.1, and this was the 'solution'.  It went away with NetBSD 0.9,
> but came back with the latest sources.  An annoying problem, but not critical.
> I assumed thisproblem was known, but I just joined the group after the
> discussion.  Oh yeah, I have the same exact machine as you, and I was told that
> this is a screwy problem with the AnyKey keyboard.

I have the same problem, but I don't have ANY Gateway hardware.  I've got
two completely different keyboards I've been using on one PC, and I've
seen the problem lots.  I usually get through the problem with the
NumLock, though.

Here's my info, if it helps...  I'll also collect info of others who have
problems, if those willing to fix the problem would be interested.  (I myself
don't know where to start.)

My kernel:

   o I started sup-ing in mid-February.  All kernels I've built do this
     to me, though somehow I recall 0.9 source behaved until I started
     playing with CFLAG options.  My favorite, and possibly suspect
     compile flags: "-O2 -pipe" and "-O2 -m486".

     If anyone's playing with 0.9 sources and seen problems like this,
     I'd be interested in the compile flags you've used.

My computer:

   o Intel LP486DX/33 + Overdrive66, 8MB, IDE HD, 3c503, Phoenix BIOS
     1.00.07.S0.  Uses a i8742AH, EPROM Program 506425-001 V1.00.1.  PS/2
     Style Connector.

My two keyboards:

   o Dell "Model M" (101key?  I'm not going to count) PN 1397651, Date
     7/31/91, manufactured by Lexmark.
   o NMB Technologies / Hi-Tek Keyboard Division Model RT101+ PN 117342-008
     Rev F.

	- Jared Boone (jboone@instruction.cs.orst.edu)