Subject: Re: Why am I using this much swap ?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/1994 00:34:16
In article <199403042318.PAA20562@csos.orst.edu> jason downs <downsj@CSOS.ORST.EDU> writes:
> In message <CM5qGp.1F0@endicor.com>, Ty Sarna writes:
> >So, does anyone want to volunteer to write a real tmpfs? :-)
>
> yeah, be sure and duplicate all of Sun's bugs in said tmpfs, as well.

My question implied that a bug-free version was desired. It wouldn't make
sense for me to ask for a buggy version, would it?

> any Sun sysadmin that uses tmpfs (at least under SunOs 4.1.3) should be
> taken out and shot. anyone who knows anything at all about SunOS can
> crash your machine in a few seconds.

Right.  There are patches for at least some of the bugs.  You *did*
apply 100507-04 (and maybe 100174-06), didn't you?

[note: there may be later versions.  There may also be others that are
new since the last patch list I have, and there may be further bugs left
unfixed by Sun in order to try to 'encourage' you to go The Way Of
System Five.]

> mfs is *far* superiour to tmpfs.

mfs may be far superior to Sun's buggy tmpfs, but I don't see
how it is superior in concept, or would be superior to a solidly
implemented tmpfs. You don't go around complaining that since Yugo makes
lousy cars, wagons are superior to *all* cars, do you?

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."