Subject: Re: Why am I using this much swap ?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1994 20:34:00
In article <199403040800.AAA21595@erewhon.cs.berkeley.edu> "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu> writes:
> BZZT!  you've obviously got *quite* an incorrect view of how 'mfs'
> works.  MFS IS NOT LIKE SUN'S TMPFS!  It does *NOT* take space from
> the VM pool, it takes the space you tell it to take, when you mount
> it.  If you give it no size, it'll pick the size of the partition
> you "mount it on."  If that happens to be your only swap partition,
> you can *majorly* screw yourself.

Ouch! A warning to this effect should really be put in the mount_mfs
manpage, because this is news to me and I'm sure many other people.  I
always assumed mfs was like tmpfs, and never saw anything to make me
think otherwise until now (and I even RTFMd).  Maybe put the quoted
section above, starting from "MFS IS NOT..." as a .Sh WARNING in the
manpage.

So, does anyone want to volunteer to write a real tmpfs? :-)

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."