Subject: Spontaneous Reboots
To: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1994 06:05:55
Well, just to clear up some stuff I've seen about these spontaneous reboots:

1.  it's got nothing to do with display of manual pages - it is the
formatting of them with groff that's the trigger for rebooting.

2.  it's got nothing to do with the -pipe directive, as that shouldn't
have any effect on groff (I added the -pipe to CFLAGS, so that gcc can
pipe output from cpp to cc? to as, rather than going by intermediate
files.)

3.  my box (pumpy) doesn't have kernel debugging enabled.

4.  I've had no time to look at it yet, and I don't have pumpy at work
with me today, so I can't check it out any further.  (I'm rather
pressed at work here, and so, if you've got a spare Cray with an FDDI
Hyperchannel at home that I can link up to one of our mainframes and
test Ethernet striping via an NSC box, give me a call. :-))

5.  I very much doubt that it was caused by recent changes to locore.s,
as I saw this happenning the previous week as well.

6.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the manual page that
it's formatting, as I can re-start the make and it will continue and
make the same page perfectly.  Hence, I pointed the finger at groff's
memory usage. (Actually, I think this is a Virtual Memory funny.)

7.  I too am very grateful to the work that the core team have done
just recently in getting so much done, and simply making such a damn
good OS available.

8.  I didn't realise it was such a big deal.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend...

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.