Subject: Re: Why am I using this much swap ?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Dirk Steinberg <steinber@schoenfix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1994 10:11:57

    Chris> BZZT!  you've obviously got *quite* an incorrect view of
    Chris> how 'mfs' works.  MFS IS NOT LIKE SUN'S TMPFS!  It does
    Chris> *NOT* take space from the VM pool, it takes the space you
    Chris> tell it to take, when you mount it.  If you give it no
    Chris> size, it'll pick the size of the partition you "mount it
    Chris> on."  If that happens to be your only swap partition, you
    Chris> can *majorly* screw yourself.

Then I consider it quite useless. I have come to *love* the dynamic
sharing of swap and tmpfs on our Suns, some of which have ~400 MB
swap. Having a mount option to turn off synchronous writes in ufs
would them do the job just as well on NetBSD.

	Dirk

PS: NO, I haven't read the source to mfs, yet. Why doesn't it give
away it's unused VM? I think msync() is capable of unmapping memory
ranges.