Subject: Re: Snapshot Report - 26 Feb tar_files
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1994 09:57:15
Alistair,

thanks again for these snapshot reports.  They are extremely helpful.

> 13.  I used -pipe to compile again, and, once again, had a spontaneous
> reboot whilst I was formatting the libc manual pages.  Nothing else
> was going on at that time.  Does groff still have funny memory usage
> patterns?  I'll have a look this week.

I've been using -O2 -pipe for everything except the kernel since I
started my upgrade to Feb12.  So my entire NetBSD userland has now
been built this way.  Apart from hassles with wd.c I've not noticed
any problems.

I left out the -m486 as it sounded to be of dubious value.

Actually I did have one hang during early bootstrapping of Feb12.  I
was making in one dir and did a make clean in another and everyone
stopped.  I put it down to wd.c getting jammed - I can't recall
whether I was running a Feb12 or Nov20 kernel.  I no longer have wd.c
in my kernel and have had no problems.

Apart some drama last weekend:  My machine crashed over night and
when I rebooted it, aha0 could not find sd1 my brand new high
reliability IBM 1Gb disk!  This disk had most of my swap on it, so
that explained the crash.

Several reboot attempts later, aha0 could no longer find sd2 or even
sd0!  Turned out to be the header on the scsi cable inside the cpu box
(attatches sd0 and st0) had come lose :-)

--sjg