Subject: Re: Snapshot Report - 26 Feb tar_files [groff reboots]
To: Tim Chase <tim@introl.introl.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1994 10:07:17
Tim Chase writes:

>Alistair Crooks reported recently that he was seeing spontaneous
>reboots when manual pages were being formatted.  I just thought I'd
>add that I'm seeing the same thing.
[...]
>Anybody else seeing this?  Is it really related to the memory usage
>pattern of groff?

I've rebuilt my entire source tree at least three times in the last
few weeks (including man pages at least once, but some man pages on
every build).  I have NOT had any spontaneous reboots at all, although
my X server did spontaneously die once during a build.  I simply
restarted X and everything worked peachy thereafter.  (The X server
had been running for 3-4 days before it died).  I did not run out of
swap (I have a 48meg swap partition).

My machine is ALR Business Veisa 386dx33, EISA bus, 10meg of RAM, ATI
8514/Ultra video board, bt747s with one Quantum SCSI drive, plus two
Conner IDE drives for archiving (I build on SCSI).  I'm running the
original X stuff that was ported with the v5.0 shared libraries
(which, other than that one weird death, have worked just great).

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center