To: None <>
From: Dennis D. Sherod <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/1994 14:12:14
I am getting the following message from X -probeonly.

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: CONSOLE_X_MODE_OFF on /dev/vga failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
Was expecting pccons driver with X support
Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries

I have checked the kernel configuration and found nothing apparent.

I have:

in my kernel config.

I have a /dev/vga and a getty running on it.

I picked up pcvt, but read that the kernel support for X is essentially the
same, so I am polling the collective net wisdom before going any deeper.

The video controller is a STB Horizon-VL, for what it worth.

-- Dennis Sherod,, Voice +1 714 724-3951, FAX +1 714 724-3956