Subject: Re: Telnet changes as of yesterday 02-25-94
To: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1994 14:48:36
> Granted, the problem is probably from me NOT doing something when you fixed
> the telnet code, but it still seemed a little strange, so I thought I would
> ask.
>
> > they're running 100% fine on sun-lamp...
>
> BTW- This message shows up the right way on console still, just not to people
> who telnet in.  Go figure...

just looked into it, now i know the answer.

telnetd is spitting out the banner when you log in on over the net,
getty is doing it when you log in on console.

getty's gettytab-getting routines accept \: as ": to be outputted."
telnetd uses libc's getcap routines, which want \c or \C for the
same thing.  i'm not sure if getty will accept \[cC], but eventually
it will.

so: the solution:
	use \c rather than \:

cgd