Subject: od
To: Dan Muntz <dmuntz@eecs.umich.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <conklin@ngai.kaleida.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/1994 16:05:00
Dan> No od?  Didn't 386bsd come with od?  If it was there (and I
Dan> didn't just compile mine from AT&T source) why was it removed
Dan> from NetBSD?  Why bother linking od to hexdump, when hexdump is
Dan> clearly incompatible?

When invoked as `od', hexdump is supposed to act like traditional
`od'.

The POSIX.2 rationale indicates that hexdump was the standard dump
filter (obsoleting od) in early drafts.  But the committee decided
that they were doing too much inventing and not enough standardizing
in this instance, and reverted back to od.

Hexdump is a curiousity caused by attempting to implement a moving
target.  Unless 4.4BSD kept it, I'd vote to kill it and install it
only as od.

	--jtc