Subject: Re: Cyrix 486-40 and NetBSD...anyone doing it?
To: Ben Madison <exujbm@exu.ericsson.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/1994 13:15:30
> There's a shop here selling a Cyrix 486-40 based system for what seems
> like a decent price...  it includes local bus VGA, 4Mb RAM and 170Mb
> IDE for $1099.
>
> First, is anyone running NetBSD on a system like this?

one of my machines is a Cx486-40 with an ISA bus.  It's got a minor problem:
the internal cache doesn't coordinate properly with DMA, or something,
so the internal cache must be disabled for the system to work.

Other than that, it works OK.

If you're going to run X, i'd definitely suggest more than 4MB of RAM.
X will run in that amount, but you'll pay for it.  8-)

chris