Subject: Trouble building a new kernel.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <bachesta@genesis.Data-IO.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/1994 06:49:37
For the past week I have not been able to build a working kernel.
I have tried on two different machines with the same results.  I have
netbsd current from Feb 21. I even removed the entire source tree and
"suped" over a new copy.  On boot Up I get the following error:

npx0: using exceptin 16
biomask 4040 ttymask ba netmask 200
wd0 extra interrupt

vm_fault(f81a85b8,0,1,0) -> 5

kernel: page fault trap, code=0

stopped at _hardclock+0x40 movl 0x3c(%ecx),%eax

db>

When I do a trace using db I get the following:

_hardclock(0,0,f8390010,10,f81a3cfc) at _hardclock+0x40
_Xclk(0,0,0,1d0fac,1db000) at _Xclk+0x5a
_main(1db000,0,0,0,0) at _main+0x2ac

I looked at the hardclock code. I don't have the assembly code so I'm
not sure where offset 0x40 is in the "C" code, how do I generate it?
I also tried to search for Xclk in the source but I could not find it
under the /usr/sys directory. I'm not sure what to do next to try to
figure this problem out. Any help would be appreciated. BTW does is
there any documentation on the Kernel Debugger?

Thanks In Advance.

Jim Bachesta
bachesta@data-io.com

P.S. Here is my config file:

#
#	ALL -- everything that's currently supported
#
#	$Id: ALL,v 1.40 1994/02/18 19:56:46 mycroft Exp $
#

# architecture type and name of kernel; REQUIRED
machine		"i386"
ident		ANGST

# different CPU types; you must have at least the correct one; REQUIRED
cpu		"I386_CPU"
cpu		"I486_CPU"

# floating point emulation
#options		MATH_EMULATE

# temporary kluge while adding support for non-contiguous physical memory
options		MACHINE_NONCONTIG

# time zone RTC is expected to be set in; REQUIRED
timezone	8 dst

# estimated number of users
maxusers	32

# maximum number of file descriptors per process
maxfdescs	2048

# paging of processes, and caching vnodes and devices; REQUIRED
options		SWAPPAGER
options		VNODEPAGER,DEVPAGER

# system call tracing, a la ktrace(1)
options		KTRACE

# FIFOs; RECOMMENDED
options		FIFO

# generic SCSI system
options		SCSI

# quotas in UFS
options		QUOTA

# memory file system (shares memory and swap space)
options		MFS

# Sun's Network File System
options		NFSSERVER
options		NFSCLIENT

# ISO 9660 file system, with Rock Ridge
options		ISOFS

# MS-DOS file system
options		MSDOSFS

# /dev/fd
options		FDESC

# kernel file system; RECOMMENDED
options		KERNFS

# various types of networks and protocols
options		INET
options		NS
options		ISO
options		TPIP
options		EON
options		CCITT

# packet forwarding
options		GATEWAY

# kernel debugger
options		DDB

# Allows user to create an i386 LDT (Used by Wine to run Windows programs)
options		"USER_LDT"

options		"COMPAT_NOMID"
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		"TCP_COMPAT_42"

config		netbsd	root on wd0 swap on wd0

#buses
controller	isa0

#console
device		pc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint

#math co-processor
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

#serial ports
device		com0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector comintr
device		com1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector comintr

#parallel ports
device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7 vector lptintr

#bus mice
# Logitech
device		lms0	at isa? port "IO_BMS1" tty irq 5 vector lmsintr

#non-scsi disk controllers
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

#non-scsi floppy controllers
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

#ethernet
device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 iomem 0xd0000 vector edintr

#sound-blaster
device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 bio irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr

# psuedo-terminals; REQUIRED for remote logins and many other things
pseudo-device pty	64

# loopback; RECOMMENDED
pseudo-device loop

# ethernet; REQUIRED if using any ethernet device
pseudo-device ether #XXX

# used by kernel for logging messages; gateway to syslogd
pseudo-device log

# packet filter
pseudo-device bpfilter	4

# compressed SLIP