Subject: signal trouble
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1994 21:23:15
Since early january I have not been able to use xdm correctly.
Sometimes when I exit my X session the x server does not restart.

Doing a ps shows the X server being a zombie, in parentheses,
the xdm child being stopped again in parenteses, and the xdm parent
being idle. I cannot kill the xdm child; it seems to be stuck on something
(I suppose waiting for the xserver to exit, but it does not). The only
choice is to kill the xdm parent and restart it. When I kill the xdm
parent, the two child processes exit.

Things are even worse when I use xscreensaver. Sometimes (it seems that
if I let things sit for a while I can get this to happen consistently),
I cannot SIGTERM the screen-saver or its child. I can only SIGKILL them.

All these worked before the early January changes...

christos