Subject: Re: Fried /usr partition while updating to -current
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: Douglas K. Rand <rand@Aero.UND.NoDak.Edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/1994 18:48:15
Doug> I'm using a Promise Technology DC4030 local bus caching IDE
Doug> controller with a Maxtor 540 disk drive.

Chris> does that controller cache reads, writes, or what?  if it
Chris> caches writes, then that could explain your FS corruption...

It caches both reads and writes, but can be configured as just a read
cache. I ran NetBSD 0.9 for months with out any problems with the card
(the disk performance was great!) but after the upgrade to -current I
stated getting those wd1: lost interrupt and wdc0: busy too long
errors. I never had any problems with 0.9 (except a few wd1: stray
interrupt errors during boot).

--
Douglas K. Rand                                    UNIX/TCPIP/CMS Administrator
Office: +1 701 777 2801             UND Aerospace - Scientific Computing Center