Subject: 'nother idea: /kern/unix virtual file
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1994 14:04:57
How difficult would it be to implement another file in /kern: /kern/unix?
This would be a virtual access point (for want of a better term) to the
current kernel. Then, I could (assuming I always have kernfs running)
do the following hacks:
    - change <paths.h> _PATH_UNIX to /kern/unix, and recompile everything
    (espec. libkvm)
    - change (if it's not already there) kvm_mkdb to default to _PATH_UNIX
    and change /etc/rc to just call kvm_mkdb.
    - hack /etc/rc.local to do a strings on /kern/unix if it exists.

Why would I like this functionality? Cause if I boot of another kernel
(such as /onetbsd which happens to be up to date, ps and swapinfo and
the like will actually _work_)

Comments? Volunteers for the kernfs hack?

PS: I don't know enough about the way vnodes and stuff work to be able
to successfully hack this. I've had a look at the code and get the general
gist, but I think that if I stuff something up badly, say `Bye Bye' to my
filesystem.

--
``Concealment is never as hard as people think, you          Luke Mewburn
  must understand that. It's action while hiding that's    <lm@rmit.edu.au>