Subject: Re: X wedges me strangely
To: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
From: jason downs <downsj@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1994 22:42:36
In message <m0pUplH-0000qaC@baalperazim.frob.com>,
	Roland McGrath writes:
>I have been having this problem for some weeks.
>I just updated the software and it's still there.
[...]
>The problem hard to pin down.
[...]

this is exactly how my NetBSD/hp300 box is dying, to a tee. it did
not do this before the new exec() package.

>The system is fine when I don't run the X server.

mine dies far easier. just about anything that requires any decent
amount of memory hangs the machine, exactly as yours hangs.

>Has anyone else experienced anything remotely like this, or have any
>idea what might be going on?  I am at a complete loss.

like i said, it think exec() is causing it-- it might have tickled
a bug in vm, from what i've managed to see, but I Just Don't Know.

with 32megs of memory, the machine doesn't swap very often, though.

--
		     - jason downs  downsj@csos.orst.edu -
	      computer science outreach services, software support

	 my opinions can be your opinions too, for a small monthly fee