Subject: Re: New set of shared XFree86 2.0 binaries & lib
To: None <Matthieu.Herrb@laas.fr>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1994 20:18:43
> All shared libraries have a version number of 2.0 to match the XFree86
> version.

Just a warning to the users of this.  I think it is great that he used
version 2.0, but be aware that this brings up a bootstrapping problem.

As long as your old version 5 libs are installed, new programs will be
linked with those instead of the new version 2 libs.  In order to upgrade,
you will have to:

  1. Move your v5 libs somewhere out of ld's sight.
  2. Recompile everything to use the v2 libs.
  3. Dispose the v5 libs as you would toxic waste.

For me, this was quite a traumatic experience.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science