Subject: Re: lpd zombies....
To: current-users <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1994 12:34:45
> Has anyone else noticed that lpd leaves little zombied copies of itself
> laying around now?

I'm running sources about a month old and don't see this.  I do still see
lpd and pr disagreeing with each other about the default value for -l:
lpr -p (without an explicit -l) causes my printer to eject vast quantities of
blank paper, evidently because lpd passes a default -l0 to pr, which (I think)
exits immediately with an error message, which (apparently) causes lpd to
send formfeeds to the printer.  An explicit "-l66" makes it behave.
Traditionally, pr ignores a -l0 argument, but GNU pr seems to know better.
Where is blame for this most appropriately placed, and what's a reasonable
fix?  (my /etc/printcap specifies a page length for the printer, by the way.)