Subject: Re: various upgrade comments (jan5 ->feb6)
To: None <>
From: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1994 23:26:46 writes:
>    The kernel increased in size by about 50KB, [...]
> Sounds like you weren't using `-m486' for the kernel before.

Ahh, you're correct.

> It forces
> alignment to 16-byte (`paragraph' in Intel parlance) boundaries rather
> than 4-byte.  In practice, this only really tends to make the code much
> larger; the performance benefit is negligible if any.

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with the line size of the internal cache on
the i486; if the cache uses a 4-word line size, this alignment might assist
the instruction fetch unit so that jumps/branches are cache line-aligned.
However, I'm not sure what the line size is, so this is just speculation.