Subject: Re: Kernel from yesterday
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, rls@zeus.id.net>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1994 15:09:25
> I built a kernel from yesterday's sup, and for the most part it actually works
> again.  Unfortunately though, it seems that someone modified the com driver,
> and my slip script doesn't work properly anymore.  It seems that whenever
> something accesses the com port, it resets everything back to "defaults",
> which also means it hangsup the modem.  In my case, I USED to have a script
> that would use chat to dial, then once connected, run slattach.  This no
> longer works, as soon as chat quits running, dtr drops.  Not good.  I've
> played with the hupcl stuff, and that doesn't make a lick of difference.

It is traditional U*x behaviour that a device gets its default parameters
when it is opened and it isn't open already by anyone. I (re-)installed this
behaviour. If you need to retain parameters between e.g. an stty and some
subsequent command, you have to keep the device open in between. E.g., if you
do the following:
	$ sleep 1000</dev/tty00&
	$ stty -f /dev/tty00 19200
	$ stty -f /dev/tty00
you'll get what you expect. If you leave out the sleep, you'll get a baud
rate of 9600 from the second stty.

Hope this helps,
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) +49-228-985800