Subject: RE: IDE driver, drive, or controller bad?
To: current-users <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Burgess, David (TSgt) ~U <BurgessD@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1994 08:23:00
>----------
>From: owner-current-users
>To: current-users
>Subject: IDE driver, drive, or controller bad?
>Date: Wednesday, February 02, 1994 9:22PM
>

>Ok, after increasing the delay from 400000 to 800000, I can get the drive
>work, for a while.
>
>Eventually, I get:
>
>        wd0: lost interrupt - status d0, error 0
>        wdc0: hard error reading fsbn 10288 of 10288-10303 (wd0 bn 10288,
>        cn 65, tn 5, sn 18)
>
>Does this indicate a bad drive, controller, or driver?  The drive seems to
>work for a while, then eventually fail with this error or something more
>cryptic.
>
>--Michael

On my system, it indicated bad spots on the drive.

In fact, I can trace virtually every one of the lost interrupt messages that
I have received sine 0.9 came out to trying to read a bad (or recoverable)
spot on the disk.  They seem to run in groups of 16 or so.

The latest version of bad144 will let you remap the spot if there is data on
it, and will try and recover the data.  I tried it the other night, and it
worked great.