Subject: Another odd problem.
To: current-users <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Burgess, David (TSgt) ~U <BurgessD@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1994 09:20:00
Hello again...

I reported a problem with my console that was vexing me.  I have found the
cause and taken steps to alleviate the symptom, although I have yet to even
open the code to see what is up.

The console would, from time to time, change tty modes (from raw to cooked,
for example) or lose the ability 'more' a file (invalid ioctl).  I thought
originally that it might be one of the ioctls that had changed.  I am less
inclined to believe that now.

I was watching the system with tcpdump (see other letter) and was typing
along. minding my own business.  Suddenly, the keyboard locked up.  At the
same instant, 'rwhod' ran its regularly scheduled update.  Since I am having
trouble with the net, it was unable to get any info back from the net.

But now the keyboard was locked.  I reached over to the other terminal (an
ancient VT-102), and tickled the console with a 'write' command.  My
keyboard was back.  I tried it again, and again, and again.  Every time
rwhod would ask for its network update, the keyboard would freeze.  I
removed rwhod from the start up script, and killed the running rwhod
process, and voila - no more keyboard hangs.

Color me confused.

Any rwhod (Vice drwho :-) experts out there want to take a swing at this
one?